LMCC’s LentSpace in Hudson Square
“In-the-meantime” cultural activity for temporarily vacant spaces
LentSpace in Hudson Square is on Varick St. between Canal and Grand Streets and is a collaboration between LMCC, Hudson Square Connection, and Trinity Real Estate
LMCC’s LentSpace program brings “in-the-meantime” cultural activity to temporarily vacant spaces and provides opportunities for artists to create and present their work, gain exposure to audiences and develop dialogues with local communities. LentSpace, like several of LMCC’s public programs, also allows for audiences to experience a unique kind of access to the artistic process, alternative spaces within the built environment, and free cultural amenities.
“LentSpace…is one of the best uses of a vacant lot that I have come across. Aptly named [it’s] something that’s inviting, unpretentious, innovative and environmentally responsible.” —Paper Magazine
Public Hours (Monday-Friday unless otherwise noted)
- September 9 - November 1: 11AM-3PM
Programming Activities Include:
- Daily Food Trucks
- Hotel Particulier lunches
- Lunchtime music concerts presented by Hudson Square Connection
- Performing and visual artists curated by LMCC
Getting there: LentSpace in Hudson Square is an entire city block located between Canal St., Varick St., Grand St., and Sixth Avenue. Take A/C/E or 1 trains to Canal Street.
A model for citywide land use, this temporary project is made possible by the use of a Trinity Real Estate site. The larger enclosed portion of the square known as “LentSpace in Hudson Square” is private space owned by Trinity Wall Street and currently licensed for use to LMCC for temporary art installations.
The scheduling for 2013 programming is complete. LMCC is not accepting proposals at this time for additional activities or events.
Support for LentSpace in Hudson Square has been provided by:
- Trinity Real Estate
- Hudson Square Connection
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
- Interboro Partners
- Matthews Nielsen Landscape Architects
Additional Support for the programming at LentSpace in Hudson Square has been provided in part by
- Ameriprise Financial, Inc.
- Con Edison
- New York City Council
- New York City Department of Cultural Affairs
- New York City Department of Parks and Recreation
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Alliance for Downtown New York
- American Fence and Company
- F.J. Sciame Construction Co., Inc.
- First Quality Maintenance
- Kelco Construction
- KokoBo Plantscapes
- Securitas Security Services